Jenny

Jenny

Monday, 8 May 2017

Memory Lane



I seem to be playing catch up all the time, so I've put these two lovely horses in the same blog as they were both commissioned by the same client. You'll see I've also added watermarks. I'll do a blog about the reason why soon. It's such a shame it's necessary.



Skase Rase was PP (private purchase) New Zealand bred horse who ran and won in the top rated races in HK, he won over two million HKD.

Sadly, I didn't get to meet Skase Race in the flesh, as he was in Hong Kong and old age took him before I had the chance to return. After a great deal of scouring memory cards, deliberation, mind-changing and drop-boxing, we finally found/agreed a photo that I could work from, and the portrait on here is the result. I know how adored he was, and I hope I've managed to capture the beautiful soul that shone from his eyes.

Looking at the photos took me back in time. Skase Race was kept at one of the amazing facilities for horses leaving racing in Hong Kong, Beas River, where the XC phase of the 2008 Olympics was held. I have great memories of being there a few years before that, and riding some of the slightly excitable horses that were in the process of being rehabilitated to leisure horses. The indoor school had mirrors down the entire long side, ages before they were commonplace in the UK. It was the first time I'd watched myself being bronced with from one end of an arena to the other!



























Eagle Regiment was also a PP, but this time from Australia. He had a stellar career on the track, winning over nine million HKD.

I'm so pleased I did get to meet him when he was sent back to the UK for retirement. I travelled to photograph him, and he had a look about him that told you he knew he was a racehorse, he had that way about him that special horses have, the ones that know they've been good.
He was mildly woolly when I photographed him as his body was still adjusting to the change in hemisphere, however his quality still shone through his coat, and his intelligence was so clear in his eyes.

My client seems to have an eye for a good horse, so I'm looking forward to my next commission!