Jenny

Jenny

Friday, 22 September 2017

Better at Drawing than Driving!




The very handsome Harvey, who nearly didn't get the sneaky shots done to create his surprise portrait!

I had a tight window to be in the yard where Harvey lives, by 5pm, to photograph a couple of horses when they had come back from an event. I also had another horse to photograph in the same area, whose yard was also waiting on horses coming back from an event. 

It all started so well. 

I had the loan of a very smart, sporty Mercedes, I figured how to use the SatNav, I had enough fuel to get to where I was going, and off I set in plenty time. 😎

I was about 20 or so minutes into the journey, when I realised I'd forgotten to put the camera into the car. Also, that I didn't actually know how to get back to where I'd just left from. 😳
I knew my hosts were partying, so rather than phone them, I just looked for  'HOME' in the SatNav, set it, and off I went. 

In my defence, I was heading in the right direction, but when I pulled up in a car park I'd never set eyes on, I had to make that 'lost' phone call, and was given the right postcode, with much hilarity on the other end of the phone. Apparently, as the car owner knew where she lived, she hadn't bothered putting 'HOME' into the car when she'd got it, and I'd taken myself off to where the previous owner lived. 🙈

Back on track, camera in car, still on time, I get stuck in traffic on the M25, for ages. I'm phoning clients as the minutes are galloping past, then I look at the fuel gauge on emergency and break out in a cold sweat. It takes forever to get to the next junction, where I'm desperately hoping to find Services, and have to stop at a pub, get directions to a garage, then set back off on my way. 😅

This means I have to change the yards' timings about (I can't find the first yard anyway, I drove past it several times 😒), my second client meets me, and we set off to that yard, only to be unable to get in, because her SatNav took her to a gate that we didn't have a code for! So we circled it a couple of times, until we finally got in. 

As we were horribly late, the sneaky plan to calmly photograph Harvey on the quiet was blown, and I was grabbing random shots of him when the owners weren't looking, in between doing the horses that were all polished for me! (Thankfully, my next client was very understanding about the collapse of the day!)

Luckily, we didn't get found out, and the surprise portrait was handed over last weekend, so I can now post him. He has the most gorgeous eyes, and the frantic photographing had him a tad concerned as in the photo on the left, but with relief I got this shot on the right which had him focussed on food!

 


Phew! 😅

I framed him up in a dark wood veneer, as it allowed the colours in his coat to come through.